Thursday, April 28, 2011

Writing experiment [Original fiction]

Title: N/A (this was a writing experiment)
A/N: I wanted to experiment with writing things that didn't make sense, which is what happened here. I have no idea what was happening, I literally wrote the first thing that popped into my head. I also wanted to include description in such a way that nobody would really notice and go 'oh, chunk of description.' because that's what usually happens to me *sigh*
P.S. If this means anything to you at all, please tell me.


He was running through the forest, under the eaves of darkness. The trees were invisible, blending neatly into the darkness of the night sky. The leaves rustled so evenly that it became a part of the background: droning on and unheeded by the human senses. There were no stars in the sky--it was a cloudy night--but even if there was, the man couldn't see them. They were blocked by the thick canopy above.

There didn't seem to be anyone--or anything--behind him, but the man kept running. He had to get out, he had to get somewhere else, somewhere that wasn't so...

He shook his head, then suddenly burst into a clearing, and he could just see the dawn of a new day as the sun shed its light onto the clouds. There was a river, there were children laughing, unaware of the hidden danger that lurked. There were women sitting outside their houses on a hot summer's day, exchanging stories. There were men newly returned from the hunt, dragging carcasses behind them.

The man watching hesitated for the slightest second, and turned almost as if to go back into the forest. But there was no longer a forest. It was a dirt road, neatly made, stretching on for miles on end and leading towards the sun. He couldn't raise his eyes and stare at the ball of fire. Instead, he kept his eyes on his feet, and began to walk.

Then, slowly, the village behind him faded from sight. There was no one else. Only him.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this was really interesting! I would love to see more of this story. I know you didn't know where it was going, but I think it could be expanded into a kind of psychological thriller or space-time-bending sci-fi. I don't think you should give up on this idea, it's very intriguing.

    (On a separate note, I'm coming here from NotebookInHand.com per Tundra's suggestion, and I like what I see!)

    ReplyDelete